Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Status: Updated?

PC World offers a guide to Facebook status updates. I found it interesting to read, but as a very infrequent status updater -- I tend to treat it like an answering machine message, saying whether or not I'm in or out or whether or not internet's available where I'm staying -- I don't know how much help it will be for me.

There are a number of people to whom I'd recommend several of the messages, such as the TMI updater or the "I'm so sleepy" updater. But if I sent this to them, I might see another kind of update, the "passive-aggressive" one, like "(Insert name here) is really tired of smug so-called friends who think they know so much and can tell other people what to do."

Then I would have to update mine with something like "Brett is really tired of people who don't understand the difference between helpful advice and mean criticism." Then they would say "(Insert name here) doesn't think some people should think they have any business offering advice to other people." Then I would say, "Brett wishes people would approach him directly with issues instead of using oblique Facebook status updates as some sort of mind-reading prompts to hint at real underlying matters."

Hey -- I think I've had dates like that.

No comments: