Monday, January 14, 2008

Football

I love watching football -- as a Kansas City Chiefs fan, this is a year in which I have to watch for the love of the game, as it was demonstrated early on I would have no great stake in post-season play.

Though I love it, there are also some things about it which I do not love at all, and here are a few:

- Guys who act like the tackle they just made saved a Super Bowl victory for their team. Sure, I'd act like that if I brought down an NFL running back. But I'm 43 years old and my last down in organized ball was in a kids' flag-football league during the Ford administration. You're a professional athlete in the National Football League, the elite of elites in the business. Act like you've tackled someone before.

- Brent Musberger.

- The phrase "imaginary championship" applied to Division 1 football in the Bowl Championship Series era. The idea that any sort of meaningful playoff system can be developed among this many schools is ludicrous, and any format designed to pick, say, the top eight teams or top ten teams will be just as buggy and prone to stupidity as the current formula for picking the top two. There's no rare purity of sport or something that requires a so-called "real" champion, at least not among the schools for which this is all a business or the NCAA or television networks for which it is even moreso.

- So many flippin' bowls anyway with so many stupid names. I sound like an old codger, but wasn't it neater when your team could call itself the Rose Bowl champion because it won the Rose Bowl? As opposed to the Corporate Conglomerate Unpaid Advertising and Tax Writeoff Bowl champion.

Enough for now.

No comments: