Thursday, June 12, 2008

Lucky Stops Time!

The new hourglass marshmallow charm in Lucky Charms cereal supposedly demonstrates how Lucky the leprechaun now has the power to stop time, in addition to the powers the previous charms gave him, like instantaneous teleportation (the rainbow) or control over gravity (the balloon).

I have to confess I always thought he was just one of the acceptable ethnic stereotypes we're still allowed to use, like his countryman, the Fightin' Irishman of Notre Dame. I never realized he was badder than Chuck Norris, able to bring things to life (using the heart) or turn invisible (blue moons) as well.

Since I was never a Lucky Charms eater, I'm not really tempted to rush out and buy a box to get a gander at the new charm. But if I wanted to, I could. The ability to buy any kind of cereal for any reason, whether it's just to get the cool toy inside, and to do so even when you haven't finished the box you have in the pantry -- well, that's one of the signs of adulthood.

No comments: