Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Location, location, location...

Sometime in the past, I must have bought or signed up for something that earned me a free Newsweek subscription. I don't know what it was, and I'd have been happy to have been told a free subscription was part of the deal, so I could have chosen a magazine I might read.

Well, hey, you might say. It's free, so why not read it anyway? You used to subscribe to Newsweek, about 20 years ago. Well, I would read it anyway, except that when I walk back from my mailbox to my house, I walk right past the trash can and the logical action presents itself. I apologize to the trees that died so Newsweek could print its cheap, smeary ink on the glossy tissue paper that makes up its pages and then toss the issue and the credit card offers that are its fit company right into the ol' bin.

But hold up, hoss, you might say. This is one of the major weekly news magazines of the country, and you're a former media type yourself. You recognize the value of being an informed citizen and how that information shapes your vote, your support of policies and your ability to act on your citizenly responsibilities. You know the value of the First Amendment to your nation and how important its founders believed it to be. You sure you want to just trash all that in so cavalier a manner?

Yup. I'm sure.

No comments: