Friday, October 9, 2009

Ten Days?

I got nothing against the guy personally, and it's not like being an inept leader sets him apart from a number of his predecessors in office.

But the deadline for nominating people for the Nobel Peace Prize is Feb. 1. Barack Obama became president of the United States on Jan. 20. The only guy I know who did anything substantial for world peace in less than two weeks died on a cross, left behind an empty tomb and ascended into heaven.

Don't folks realize that as long as this kind of deification continues, Pres. Obama will pretty much never learn how to be president? I don't think that his problem is that he keeps giving speeches instead of doing the job. I think the problem is that he thinks giving speeches is the job. And as long as silly stuff like this keeps happening, he'll probably keep thinking it.

I voted against then-Sen. Obama because I didn't think the presidency was a place for on-the-job training and leadership development, but at the time I did feel that he might grow into the office anyway. Now I'm not so sure he'll get the chance to grow into anything, since so many people and so many groups seem to be sending the message that he's grown into it and beyond it.

No comments: