Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"Life" at a Discount?

The Washington Monthly magazine has a college guide, and on it there is a blog. Blog author Daniel Luzer opines upon some of the many recent studies that question the expense of a college degree. Some of those studies suggest that the expense is too high for the value of what is received.

Mr. Luzer demurs, and says this:
The problem with this is that the “did college pay off” question is based on the premise that it’s college that we should be questioning. As most people who went to college understand, the most important lessons that one learns in college are life lessons, which are economically difficult to measure.
I have to say that it is quite possible life lessons were the only lessons that I picked up from my undergraduate career that stayed with me. A number of them, of course, were of the "Don't ever do that again" variety. I remember a few things from some of my courses; I remember more from my journalism courses than from others, but my transcript already indicates that would be the case. Most of what I remember are some adventures and the stories that go with them. I also remember some people, not very many of whom I've stayed in touch with all that well -- it seems that a shared aversion to sobriety does not the eternal friendship make.

So I guess some of those things count as "life lessons," which might kind of undercut my disagreement with Mr. Luzer except for the fact that I was a prime example of someone who probably didn't need to go to college when he did. I spent way more time outside the classroom and library than in them and didn't really do anything there I couldn't have done for a lot less money at a nearby school or community college. Fast-forward about ten years to my time in seminary and I can boast of graduating with honors and of a probably 99% attendance rate. I was more mature, more invested in the work and paying for it myself, and all three of those combined to motivate me a whole lot more than anything ever did as an undergrad.

And I really have to disagree with him on the idea that life lessons -- whatever they are -- are "economically difficult to measure." Sallie Mae sends me a measurement every month, and without fail they encourage me to send my own back to them.

(H/T Phi Beta Cons)

No comments: