Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Deal's a Deal...

The Scene: Generic office, lighting subtly red-toned. A well-dressed man sits in front of a desk. He is nervous, pulling at his collar and frequently checking his watch. The man behind the desk has his back to us and he is gesturing with one arm while talking loudly on the phone. He hangs up, but doesn't turn around, and begins speaking.

CHAIR MAN: This is bad, I tell you. Bad, bad, bad.

NERVOUS MAN: You have to know I did everything I could. I mean, there are limits to what I'm allowed to do...

CHAIR MAN (interrupts): I don't care about your "limits," Applegate! I care about results! Always have, always will! Results matter! Excuses don't!

NERVOUS MAN/APPLEGATE: But they had Nolan Ryan on their side! Seven no-hitters! Do you know who you have to know to get seven no-hitters? What kind of pull you have to have?

CHAIR MAN: We had a deal, Applegate! Contracts were signed! Promises were made! And you don't live up to your end! You know what that means!

APPLEGATE: No! You can't do this! Not to me!

Chair turns, revealing man behind the desk to be GEORGE STEINBRENNER. He leans over the desk and grins.

STEINBRENNER: Oh yes I can, bub. Meet the new Boss! (Laughs)


Fade to black while STEINBRENNER laughs and APPLEGATE slumps forward, head in his hands.

No comments: