Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Weary

Someone asked me -- I have no idea why -- what comment I might have regarding Saturday's shootings in Arizona and the debate that has been going on about political rhetoric and such in its aftermath. Just briefly:

1. The word "debate" can't be used legitimately for the lion's share of what's been said about the shootings, nor can the words "think" or "thought" be used legitimately to describe how a number of the opinions being expressed were formed.

2. I'm looking forward to a couple of weeks from now when I can go back and un-hide newsfeeds from a good dozen or so of my Facebook friends who felt the need to post every single stinking thing everyone else said about the matter.

3. In light of the concept expressed in Proverbs 17:28, very few television networks, magazines or newspapers seem to employ men (or women) of understanding.

4. Some days, there's not enough shuttin' up in the world -- and I'll try to live by my own thought and start my shuttin' up now.

ETA: I'll break my own rule by commending President Obama on his remarks yesterday evening. The presidency has hard moments, but I imagine this one -- involving the death of a 9-year-old girl -- is compounded for a man with young daughters, and he stepped up well.

No comments: