Friday, May 20, 2011

Fish in the Barrel, Unscathed

Yes, a radio preacher has proclaimed that tomorrow, May 21, will see the Rapture, a time when faithful believers will in some fashion or another disappear from this world and go to Jesus. Like many Christians of a wide range of theological beliefs, including Left Behind coauthor Tim LaHaye, I am pretty sure he's wrong.

But no, I'm not going to make fun of him or the people he's convinced. If he's right, I'll have plenty of time -- either immediately in the event that I'm taken up as well or after seven years of Tribulation -- to apologize. If he's wrong? Well, I already think the church does much too good of a job of shooting its own wounded or kicking them when they're down, and that means I probably shouldn't join in if I want what I say to be taken seriously.

No comments: