Thursday, July 7, 2011

Good Job, Mr. President

And again, in a non-snarking way. I'm not liking most of his work in the job, but since I'd rather not drive myself to insanity about it, I like when I run across his actions I think are good. It gives peace to my spirit, among other things. It helps me remember that in back of policies and actions I think are at best misguided and at worst farcically mistaken is a real live person, and the Founder had a couple of things to say about how real live persons should be treated by His followers.

President Obama decided this week he will send letters of condolence to families of military personnel who commit suicide in combat areas. Previously, these letters were sent only to the families of personnel killed in combat, but the president reversed this policy with his decision. I think it's a good one; among the roles of the president is Commander-in-Chief and as such he has a responsibility for all military personnel. Recognizing that the families of soldiers who take their own lives grieve just as much as those whose lives are taken by the enemy and that those families too deserve a recognition of their loss from the Commander-in-Chief seems to me a no-brainer, and kudos to President Obama for making it so.

No comments: