Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Oh, What a Relief It Is!

I had earlier said that former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich presented me with a problem.

Although he would be an awful president and I would really rather not vote for him under most any circumstances you might care to name, he was not so completely rotten that I could in good conscience skip casting a ballot altogether, as I would have if the Republicans nominated Rep. Ron Paul (currently on leave from playing Arlo Givens on Justified) or former corporate CEO Herman Cain (currently enjoying the ignoring he should have been receiving all along).

By robo-calling Holocaust survivors in Florida with claims that rival Mitt Romney, while the governor of Massachusetts, vetoed kosher meals in nursing homes, Mr. Gingrich has removed any qualms I may have had that he would merit a vote. In fact if I had time, I would change my voter registration to Republican long enough to vote against him before switching back to independent.

Should the bizarre become the new normal and Mr. Gingrich receive the GOP nomination, I will join the half of my fellow Americans who go to the polls on election day. But my presidential ballot will remain blank.

No comments: