Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Quantum Divinity?

This post at Neatorama appeals to the would-be scientific as well as the theological geek in me as it attempts to apply quantum gravity theory to the question of how many angels can dance on a pin.

Under consideration are the size of the angels, the mass of the angels, and whether or not their dancing reduces the number of them that can possibly exist inside the named space limitations. A lot of it is verrrry complex stuff that I will need to open my copy of Physics for Those Who Can't Handle Any Math Beyond Their Checkbooks in order to understand. But I admit I laughed out loud at the assumption that "each angel carries at least one bit of information (fallen/not fallen)."

I was also struck by the fact that, in order to obey quantum mechanics, the angels need to dance at relativistic speeds -- near the speed of light. Talk about twinkletoes...

No comments: