So, apparently dating a teacher means you are not afraid to sit next to a 2nd-grade birthday party at a restaurant. At least, when she teaches elementary students. Some events that transpired:
1) The theme, since we were at the Warren Theater, was The Avengers. The cake -- and the party participants -- were all very heroic. Although Captain America looks a little shorter in person.
2) The honoree had his arm in a sling, so his buddy opened his presents for him. When they want to be, even 7-year-old boys can be nice to one another.
3) The excitement of the event can lead one not to wait for all of one's candles to be lit before blowing them out. A good deal of parental coaching in restraint is required.
4) Even seven candles can take a long time to light. This is OK. Because, as overheard from one partygoer, "No, wax is good for you."
5) A laughing kid, with his face covered in icing because he had to lick the cake cutter, is a pretty funny thing.
Here's hoping for a bunch more good birthdays, young man.