Monday, January 21, 2013

Noteworthy Day

A high school friend of mine is in Washington, D.C. for the public Presidential Inauguration ceremonies, being held this year on the national holiday set aside to honor Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. The holiday, of course, makes it particularly meaningful to President Obama because of his heritage. And the coinciding holiday and inauguration are particularly meaningful to my friend because of his heritage.

I've no doubt the president will soon say something that reminds me why I believe he is one of the least sufficient men to hold this office in recent memory. He may even do so today -- he has the gift.

But that won't detract from me being pleased that my friend can attend the ceremonies. I understand this has great significance for him, even if I can't really walk in his shoes and fully grasp that significance. So I'll just be happy for him and people like him. The other can wait a day.

No comments: