Thursday, July 18, 2013

Rendered Moot

If I worked for the online satire site The Onion, I might just wonder if I should throw up my hands and quit. Because on the one hand, this article about Secretary of State John Kerry, the man who lost to one of the most despised presidential candidates in recent memory, being sent to help the long-hating Israelis and Palestinians come to some level of agreement and resolution, is satirical and made up.

But on the other hand, Secretary of State John Kerry, the man who lost to one of the most despised presidential candidates in recent memory, is actually being sent to help the long-hating Israelis and Palestinians come to some level of agreement and resolution.

I've heard it said that there is only one inoculation against mockery, and that's to become so ridiculous that no mockery could bring more shame than the truth does. I believe that point may be approaching at no insignificant speed.

ETA: No longer just approaching. It's already here.

No comments: