Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Pyramid of Sadness

Is the saddest thing about this piece in The Washington Post's "Wonkblog" that someone wrote almost a thousand words about how people who can spend more money on breakfast sandwiches get a better breakfast sandwich for doing so? No.

Is the saddest thing about it the fact that the newspaper which broke the Watergate story and has been a leading institution of the Fourth Estate for decades actually ran a piece that was almost a thousand words about how people who can spend more money on breakfast sandwiches get a better breakfast sandwich for doing so? No.

Is the saddest thing about it that the person who wrote almost a thousand words about how people who can spend more money on breakfast sandwiches get a better breakfast sandwich for doing so will actually be paid for this effort instead of having to pay the newspaper to run it and everyone else to read it? No.

The saddest thing is that the person who wrote almost a thousand words about how people who can spend more money on breakfast sandwiches get a better breakfast sandwich for doing so will probably be paid enough money to afford one of those better breakfast sandwiches and will consume it without a hint of either self-awareness or irony.

2 comments:

fillyjonk said...

Globally speaking, I'm pretty dang rich.

I eat oatmeal for breakfast....it's cheap, it's fairly nutritious, and I like it. If I wanted a breakfast "sandwich" I'd have to drive the other direction from how I go to work (all our fast food places are clustered on one side of town). It would take longer than my oatmeal takes.

I dunno. I can't get incensed that someone who has more money than I do gets a slightly better wad of salt and fat in the morning. I'd rather spend my disposable income on books than restaurant food, anyway.

Friar said...

Agreed. Even if I had an opinion about the matter I can't imagine having a thousand words worth of one.