Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Gatherings

-- A science journalist gave a talk to an association of skeptics about why he was skeptical about skepticism. Steven Novella at the website Neurologica is skeptical about whether or not Horgan was really skeptical or just acting that way. I'm really not sure who I should disbelieve.

-- My recent medical adventure involved my arm. This item makes me almost wish it had been a little more serious.

-- CBS released a teaser for its upcoming Star Trek series. It prompts two thoughts: 1) That "New Crews, New Heroes, New Villains, New Worlds" tag will be worthless if none of those things appear in service to good stories. Laurence Olivier and Katherine Hepburn wouldn't have saved "Spock's Brain," and the coolest gizmodery in the galaxy won't save this show if it takes its cues from Star Trek Into Darkness, which had a few fine moments buried in a heap o' slop. And 2), that all of the gee-whiz graphics at the front end of the teaser don't hold half the excitement as those first four notes of Alexander Courage's theme music.

-- You know, if young people are going to read and pay attention to what Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling says, it's kind of a relief to know that every now and again she's going to say something smart like this. And for the record, Mr. Trump has my full support to go to England and be bigoted there. In fact, I suspect I am not alone in being an American who wishes he would do so.

No comments: