Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Arrogant American?

U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi, in a press release about her meeting Pope Benedict XVI, had this to say:
"In our conversation, I had the opportunity to praise the Church's leadership in fighting poverty, hunger and global warming, as well as the Holy Father's dedication to religious freedom and his upcoming trip and message to Israel."
Now, I'm a pastor, although neither my flock nor my importance on the world scene is anywhere near the level of B16's. Even so, I'll confess I like hearing an "Attaboy, Rev" now and again. My jaw just dropped at this, though. Maybe Speaker Pelosi didn't realize how it sounded, maybe she did. But does she really think the spiritual leader of more than a billion people was waiting around to hear her praise the church's work? Did she think he went back to his office, kicked his feet up on his desk and said, "Boys, I was little iffy on our two thousand years of commitment to the poor and oppressed of the earth, but I just found out we're on the right track. U.S. Speaker of the House said so, and she's the next best thing to Joe Biden! Can a Holy Father get an 'Amen' in the house?"

And if that wasn't enough to set Benedict's toes a-tappin' with joy, we're told Speaker Pelosi showed him a picture of her family's 1950 visit with his predecessor, Pope Pius XII. No word on whether or not she pointed him out in the photos. Or what Pope Benedict may have thought about seeing a picture when he'd already said there would be no photos of this particular meeting, given Pelosi's public support of abortion rights.

This whole incident makes me admire Pope Benedict's patience and gracious attitude. 'Cause if it had been me, I'd have invited the Speaker back for a second meeting just as soon as I read her statement to the press, and I'd have made sure the transcript of that meeting -- which probably would have been a trifle one-sided -- was well-disseminated.

No comments: