Monday, October 5, 2009

Maintain Those Boundaries!

Although I read the Newsbusters.com site pretty regularly, I usually don't link it directly because I think their criticism of major media can get a little shrill from time to time.

But because of the screencap they used with this item, I pretty much had to. CBS This Morning's Harry Smith is interviewing a couple who went a year without several amenities, including toilet paper, and wrote a book about it. The fact that literally billions of people in the world do not have many of these amenities and have no choice in the matter ought to give pause to the "ain't we swell" attitude of the author and his wife, but the self-righteous aren't always self-aware. Which I often tell that guy in the mirror, but he doesn't always listen.

In the screen capture, right under the headline, we see Harry sitting on the other couch from the couple that, according to that headline, gave up toilet paper for a year. And we see him with arms extended, probably just gesturing as he speaks, but looking for all the world like a guy who's telling the others to just keep their distance. Which I gotta tell ya, I would most likely be doing my own self if I were talking to people who hadn't used toilet paper in a year and were telling everyone about it...

No comments: