Saturday, March 6, 2010

"The Strangeness Value Could Be Non-Zero"

Well, I don't know if that statement's really true, given the subject matter -- or anti-matter -- under discussion, but I do know that if you've been waiting around to pick up some nega-strange anti-deuterium, wait no longer!

I remember the periodic table the article refers to looking quite daunting, with its list of symbols, arcane numbers that meant different things according to which corner of their little squares they were in and strange layout. The idea that an accurate such table, in order to describe all of the material that might exist in the weird corners of the universe, would have to be three-dimensional, scares me retroactively back all the way to high school.

If none of this makes sense, well, check out the abstract of the original article here, which should clear everything up for you.

1 comment:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I really liked physics in school and have tried to follow it but the whole quark thing escapes me. Not only do have strangeness but "charm" and other qualities. I think they do that intentionally just to jack with us.