Tuesday, May 4, 2010

You've Come a Long Way, Baby

This move, by the Loyola University School of Law, wouldn't have helped me all that much in seminary, because when I was in school there I was a grownup who went to class, did my readings, studied the material and put effort into my classwork instead of saving the Illinois barley producer. The words cum laude on my diploma actually belong there.

But if someone wants to retroactively bump my undergraduate grades by a third, that would be just swell. Imagine how I could hold my head up with pride when I hob-nobbed with all the C+ students instead of just the plain old C students I'd been stuck with.

I do have to say that this idea is not all that original to Loyola. A number of my classmates in high school and junior high practiced the same kind of thing, albeit with techniques that relied on liquid paper, white-out, carbon paper and sneaking access to a teacher's IBM Selectric. Ah, the modern world. Not only can your grade be changed and all records of the previous grades be erased at the touch of a button, you don't even have to worry about getting caught by school officials. After all, they're the ones making the change for you.

(H/T Erin O'Connor)

No comments: