Sunday, January 23, 2011

Existential Questions

The SyFy Network is showing Serenity right now. This is, as always, fun. But it prompts the obvious question.

What is up with that stupid name change to "SyFy?"

OK, it also prompts a second obvious question. Why is the network spending money on a Canadian version of a perfectly good BBC Three show with supernatural themes when it could be making more Firefly?

I would never make a good TV executive. My head's just not in the right place for it.

2 comments:

Glenn said...

I smell lawyers.

The name change could be due to trademark/legal issues. "SciFi" is a fairly common term and not specific to a cable channel with science fiction programing. "SyFy" on the other hand is exclusive.

Friar said...

I hadn't thought of that -- although I think the danger of being taken seriously if they claim some kind of original creativity when their output is stuff like Sharktopus is remote.