Thursday, June 13, 2013

And I Think You're Doing it Wrong, Too...

I'm pretty disgusted with Democratic Senator Mary Landrieu of Lousiana. In debate about immigration reform legislation, she suggested that Republican Senator John McCain of Arizona would know more about what the best ideas for border security are than would Republican Senator John Thune of South Dakota.

Sen. McCain knows more about immigration problems, Sen. Landrieu suggested, because his state borders Mexico and Sen. Thune's state of South Dakota only borders Canada. Yes, I'm disgusted because, just like a politician, Sen. Landrieu covers for her colleague Sen. Thune by giving him credit for experience and knowledge he doesn't actually possess!.

Really, Sen. Landrieu? Did you think we wouldn't notice your sly attempt to insinuate that Sen. Thune had some knowledge of border issues with your claim his state borders another country? Did you think we wouldn't check that out ourselves? Did you think we wouldn't notice that directly north of South Dakota is not Canada, but an entire state, known to its inhabitants as North Dakota? I am so tired of these cheap political tricks by these hacks who are just trying to cover for each other every second of the day!

Come on, Sen. Landrieu! You knew that Sen. Thune actually had no experience dealing with any border issues directly (except Iowans; we all know how they are), but you tried anyway to convince us that he did, just so no one watching would think that he was somehow unqualified for his position in the United States Senate. Oh sure, I know some people will call you out on your prejudice for presuming that the only real problem with borders is with those people south of us. And I know some people will really enjoy how you claimed South Dakota bordered Canada while you were making your case for a "smart" fence -- and fence or not, I think we can tell one person who'd be behind it in the class rankings.

But I, Sen. Landrieu, remain unswayed by these petty sideline concerns. The only thing that matters to me is your unacceptable attempt to cover up one of your fellow senator's inadequacies, and I assure you that because of it, I will never vote for you again. That, and, of course, the fact that I don't live in Lousiana. Which does not, if you're curious, border any other countries either. Or even the state where I live.

No comments: