Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Maybe Not...

Once again, we see why actors only get paid when they say someone else's words, as the most recent Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield, suggests that the sequel to his re-boot portray "MJ," commonly known as "Mary Jane" Watson, as a guy so that Peter Parker can explore his bi-sexuality. According to the article at Entertainment Weekly, the main force driving Mr. Garfield's vision is his desire to see the MJ part played by The Wire actor Michael B. Jordan, with whom has has been "obsessed" since that show aired.

Throw aside established characters in order for you to be able to have make-out scenes with an actor who may or may not be as into the idea as you are? Have him hired solely because of his gender and consider it "even better" that because of his race "we’d have interracial bisexuality," thus tokenizing him twice? Anything you say, Mr. Garfield!

I swear, if I were a movie producer I would never let an actor near anybody with a tape recorder unless I had hypnotically programmed them to say entertainment-industry styled variations of "Well, I just want to do whatever I can to help the team" or "I think the game will boil down to how many times we can put the ball in the end zone and how well our defense does at keeping them from scoring." The studio has to be glad that their film opening is still a year off.

No comments: