Monday, December 30, 2013

Leftover

Something I overlooked last week.

When I set out Christmas morning to drive to my parents' house, I had the radio set on a station from Dallas that plays music from India. I listen to it because it's something different, because I've developed a strange fondness for songs from Bollywood musicals and because I like the dance tunes. Yes, they are in Hindi and I can't understand what they're singing, but I can't understand half of the mush in the dance tunes on the Top 40 station either, and they're allegedly in English.

Anyway, I was listening while getting my iPad ready to plug in and play some sermons on the drive home (somebody else's -- even I don't have enough ego to want to listen to three hours of myself). While I was listening, the DJ gave a brief meditation on the meaning of Christmas, even to a person who is not a Christian, and then played a song in appreciation of the transcending meaning of the season. The song was by Celine Dion and I don't remember what it was -- I have a hard time telling her stuff apart also.

But I sat and thought for a moment. A Hindi-language station playing out of Dallas, Texas, had a Hindu lady reflect on the meaning of a Christian holiday and honor it by playing a song by a French-speaking Roman Catholic Canadian woman.

I love this country.

No comments: