Monday, January 20, 2014

Word

Toward the end of each year, we often see news items that tell us what words the Oxford English Dictionary has added to itself, representing how language has changed and expanded.

Here, you may find an addition the OED folks feel is representative of the year you were born, as well as a link to the first known use of that word. For those born in 1964 such as myself, the word chosen is the unsurprising "Beatlesque," given that the Fab Four made their first U.S. appearances early in the year. If you subscribe to the OED, you may also search for a more personalized word, sorted out by month -- that is, a word which first appeared during the month of your birth.

Alas, I am not a subscriber, so I will remain ignorant of the more specific word. I suspect that my own contributions to the language were non-verbal noises throughout most of my time on earth in 1964, though, and I have to admit that I cannot claim to have originated any of them.

No comments: