Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Certainty

A questioner at the What-If xkcd site asks about speed limits being "radar-enforced." Naturally, the phrase means that Johnny or Jeanette Law will be using his or her radar gun to measure my speed as I drive, and invite me to stop and chat about the cost effectiveness of said speed should it exceed posted limits.

But what if the gun were used to generate enough radiation to actually stop or slow down my truck? Radiation does exert pressure, so there is an amount that would prevent my forward motion.

Unfortunately for me, the officer employing the radiation-emitting device and folks within a significant mileage radius, that amount of radiation has other effects -- such as vaporizing us all. While this would be effective in halting my scofflaw ways and police officers know they may be called upon to risk their lives in performance of their duties, the non-repeatability of the tactic probably argues against its deployment anytime soon.

1 comment:

CGHill said...

When I was a wee lad, I actually believed that was the way those installations worked.

I miss that kind of innocence.