Tuesday, October 11, 2016

A Holy Day

At sundown today, the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, or the Day of Atonement begins. Observant Jews will fast from food and several other activities, and will have spent the days leading up to it seeking forgiveness from others whom they may have wronged. Then, during the period of the day itself, they will spend time in prayer seeking God's forgiveness as well.

As a Christian, I hold the belief that in Jesus, God has offered humanity forgiveness for their sin. But considering the shenanigans in which we have been engaged in selecting the person who will hold the highest elective office in our land, a "Day of Atonement" sounds like a fine idea.

1 comment:

fillyjonk said...

I said to one of my adult Sunday school students the other week that I wondered if maybe we were entering a "Babylon period" in the US. I don't LIKE feeling that way but I wonder if we've gotten far enough from first principles that we're going to get our noses rubbed in the mess we made.