Sunday, July 23, 2017

She Swims!

The U.S.S. Constitution, dating from our nation's earliest years as a republic, is now back in the water after a two-year drydock refit. Renovation work continues, eventually bringing Old Ironsides back into her peak condition.

Although she would be ready to sail, a trip with all sails sheeted home is probably not in the cards any time soon. As one of the museum personnel commenting on the live feed said, unfurling that much canvas is "complicated" and is saved for special occasions. And as it happens, she doesn't look all that bad just sitting on the porch anyway.

1 comment:

fillyjonk said...

Cool! When I was a tiny, tiny child my parents took a trip to Boston and took me to see it (I just barely remember it). It makes me happy that the new renovation is ongoing.