Friday, August 25, 2017

Repenting!

A couple of days ago I called out ESPN as being unbelievably dumb for removing a football announcer because of his name. The game involved the University of Virginia, recently the site of some tragic unpleasantness, and the announcer's name was Robert Lee. ESPN suggested that they had discussed the matter with Lee -- who is an American of Chinese descent -- and had offered to let him switch games to avoid mockery because his name resembled that of Confederate general Robert E. Lee.

While I still think ESPN's explanation is so much horsehide, I have changed my mind about the removal of sports broadcasters based on how closely their names resemble soldiers who fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War. Someone posted a link to this page, and I call it to Fox Sports' immediate attention.

Or if not immediate, at least before the next World Series.

No comments: