Friday, December 8, 2017

Varietoids

-- In 1956, Alfred Bester published the science fiction novel The Stars My Destination, in which human beings have the ability to "jaunt," or teleport instantly between places. Every time some airline does something like this, I come a little closer to literally praying for that novel to come true in my lifetime, so I can pop into the CEO's office and laugh at the way his business collapses around his ears.

-- U.S. skier Lindsey Vonn, asked whether she would accept an invitation to the White House if she wins gold in next year's Winter Olympics, said, "Absolutely not." She said she plans to represent "the people of the United States, not the president." Ms. Vonn overlooks a couple of things -- despite his generally repulsive character, President Trump is a person who is in the United States and although I'd have to look it up, I don't think many U.S. athletes have ever considered themselves to be representing the president serving when they competed. I know why Donald Trump thinks everything is about him, but I can't understand why anyone else does.

-- You don't like telephone scammers. I don't like telephone scammers. Nobody likes telephone scammers. This guy really doesn't like telephone scammers.

No comments: