Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Perception

Over at Live Science, writer Emma Bryce unpacks some of the possible reasons people hate the venerable font Comic Sans.

One of the most likely reasons seems to be overuse -- it started showing up where it didn't have any real place and so it became annoying.

The font creator, though, seems to have the right idea about the whole matter. He lives in France, grows olive trees and practices calligraphy. The fact that there is actual organized antagonism towards a font does not appear to have made much difference in his life at all.

2 comments:

fillyjonk said...

I dropped some of my hate for it after learning that because of the way it's designed, some people with dyslexia have an easier time reading it than something like Times New Roman.

Still, there are times and places for things, and "every place and any time" is not for Comic Sans.

(And I'm not formatting my exams in Comic Sans. If a student with dyslexia requests it as an official accommodation, I will do a special copy for them, but otherwise, nope)

Friar said...

I can totally understand people getting annoyed with it, especially when it's used in the wrong setting. But there seem to be those who pretty much hate it and anyone who uses it. That has me clueless...