Monday, January 13, 2020

Wishful Thinking

Recently Prince Harry of England and his wife Meghan Markle said they would like to step away from the bulk of their official roles in the royal family and make their own way. This has caused some upset in Ye Merrie Olde, since they made the announcement before actually speaking with family members about the decision and what it might entail. Unlike the abdication of King Edward VIII, Harry's backing off would do little to ruffle the succession, since he stands behind his father, his older brother and his brother's three children in line for the throne.

Is it wrong of me to wish that part of this "summit" meeting between Queen Elizabeth, her son Prince Charles and his sons Princes William and Harry included Her Majesty addressing her grandson thusly: "Listen to me, you gangly ginger punk. I am 93 years old. I repaired and drove jeeps in World War II, I survived the Battle of Britain and was evacuated from my home so I wouldn't get killed by bombs. At 18 I was named one of the Counsellors of State who could serve in case my father was out of the country. I've listened to Winston Churchill in person with my own ears and watched the Berlin Wall go up and be knocked down. You want to leave, go ahead. You and your goofball Hollywood wife skedaddle to Vancouver and hug all the trees and recycle all the banana peels you want. But you do not do it without running it by me first. And don't forget to put in pictures of the kids when you write."

No comments: