Thursday, February 6, 2020

Solo Jam

One of the ways that Google Maps, as well as several other mapping apps, determines traffic level on a street is how many phones are sending their locations to the Central Scrutinizer -- oops, sorry, I mean, to the app.

So a fellow in Berlin put 90 phones in his little red wagon and walked down the middle of a Berlin street. Although the traffic was light enough he could literally walk down the middle of the road the app read the presence of 90 slow-moving phones and signaled to all users the presence of a traffic jam.

I think I'm just going to get my church members to check in with their phones on Sunday morning, in order to give me some really good attendance numbers, and then let them go on about their business while I take a nap.

2 comments:

fillyjonk said...

Someone needs to rewrite that "99 Luftballons" song to be about a dude dragging around 99 cell phones. (The biggest problem? German word for "cell phone" is "Handy," which doesn't scan well at all against "Luftballons")

Friar said...

Now I'm going to be thinking all day long about how to make that work ;-)