Saturday, April 25, 2020

Spot, Marked

Sheltering in place and stuff has put your humble blogger in something of a punk mood (despite some unease with some of the lyrics to "Anarchy in the U.K.," I have never understood Johnny Rotten's snarled "I wanna be/anarchy" so well as I do right now).

So surprise! One of the original Los Angeles punk voices, X, dropped a brand-new album earlier this week, several months earlier than planned. Alphabetland is the first time all four of the original members have released anything since Ain't Love Grand in 1985. Despite the fact that the youngest original members are 64, the 11 tunes they rip through in 30 minutes can best be described by the sentence that several of them repeat in the above-linked Randall Roberts' Los Angeles Times story:

"It sounds like an X album."

It does. Hope my neighbors like it.

2 comments:

Brian J. said...

Thanks, man.

On Facebook, I've been playing a game with one of our pastors where I'm supposed to think up a band with a name beginning with a letter, and I got X.

Although, as I look at the ways the challenge letter is derived from your previous answer, I'm afraid I'm going to get X again.

Friar said...

Hmm...I think there's an indie band still working called "The xx," which I heard once on a radio show and which did not appeal to me at all. You could probably throw that one back at them if they stuck you with it again.