Friday, May 8, 2020

Friar's Tireds

I took a look at a lot of things today that would ordinarily set my fingers on the path of irritable grumpiness, mixed in with some acidic assertions I hope would sound witty. The Pulitizer committee deciding the nonfictional part is not an essential part of their prize for nonfiction, a bunch of people deciding that the best way to make a woman who posted a dumb idea on Facebook change her mind was to flood hers and her husband's newsfeeds with negative comments, more and more people thinking that the best thing to say to each other about the COVID-19 outbreak is, "You're doing it wrong"...

There were a bunch. Instead of making me feel like sharpening my pen and setting phrases to stun, though, all I felt was tired. It's not like I think it'll ever really stop this side of the eschaton; I know better than to expect better. But I'm worn out today. I don't really have the energy to give these things the contempt they deserve. Maybe another day.

No comments: