Sunday, September 27, 2020

Thanks

Because of a couple of brutal cold streaks, my preferred baseball team, the Kansas City Royals, will not be moving on into postseason play this year. So the 2020 year ended for them today -- with a win, as they had finally begun playing well.

Which means it's time for your humble correspondent to say thank you to Major League Baseball. The season was short and it was weird and it had no fans in the stands. But it was there, and when I listened on the app on my iPad I was listening to a game just like I had about any year, online or on the radio. It was a refreshing little slice of normal in a screwed up time.

When they began the 60-game abbreviated season back in July I saw a lot of predictions that they would fail, that tons of athletes would get sick, that they would spread the COVID-19 virus, that the season would shut down, and so on. To all of these naysayers, I want to say...something that I won't say on a blog sometimes read by my mother. Instead I'll just laugh a loud, "HA!" in their direction and enjoy 1) How wrong they were, 2) How their errors are on the record in many a print and online column and 3) How people taking a shot at doing something halfway normal actually managed it and all of the doomers managed to do nothing.

And then I'll say thanks to baseball again for a welcome anchor in a year of chaos.

No comments: