Saturday, December 12, 2020

Artificial Tunage

So the Spotify music streaming service is trying to develop a system in which an Artificial Intelligence algorithm will compose music with no human input whatsoever.

I suppose that the proper way to phrase the question is something like, "Why?" or "What do they want to accomplish?" or something equally measured and polite. And avoiding the comparison jokes that imply how a significant percentage of the pop music released today seems to have no human input whatsoever either. So I'll do both.

Nah, I can't. I'll ask the question in the way I think it is best phrased: "What the hell do you want to go and do that for?"

6 comments:

Brian J. said...

They probably won't have a hit until they use six or seven computers to come up with four different lyrical lines to repeat with varying intensity over the samples of three different songs composed by humans.

fillyjonk said...

There's an old joke about a college class, where a student starts out bringing a tape recorder to record the prof's lectures. Eventually, several more students do that. Eventually they stop coming, just putting the recorder in the room and hitting "Record."

Eventually, the professor just brings a recording to the class with a tape of him lecturing on it.

Somehow, the AI music makes me think of that.

Brian J. said...

I am pretty sure that scene appears in the movie Real Genius.

Which would make it an old joke by now, indeed.

Friar said...

I think I remember both the story and the scene but I'm not sure which I encountered first.

I would like to think that no COVID-scolder somewhere has proposed this model but I think we all know it's possible...

fillyjonk said...

I will say during last semester, where I had to teach one class fully online because it was too large to fit in any room on campus with "distancing," it FELT a lot like I was talking into a tape recorder.

they can shoot me up with the vaccine any time they want to.

Friar said...

Preach!