Sunday, February 7, 2021

Explanation

So my preferred team, the Kansas City Chiefs, did not win Super Bowl LV. As far as I can tell from my Facebook news feed, Tom Brady's performance as the quarterback of the victorious Tampa Bay Buccaneers cements his status as the GOAT, the usual acronym meaning Greatest of All Time. We'll talk another day, perhaps, about what a meaningless and impossible-to-determine title GOAT really is, but something else on FB following the game intrigued me.

A couple hours after the game was over I switched my FB cover photo to a picture of Kauffman Stadium, the home of my preferred baseball team, the Kansas City Royals. On it was printed the date for the 2021 season's opening day of April 1, 2021. During the NFL season I'd had the unofficial Chiefs 2020 season motto, "Run It Back" as my photo. A couple of people chuckled at my change and crowed a bit over how quickly I made it following the Chiefs' loss.

But to me it seems perfectly rational. I don't care about football if one of the teams I root for isn't playing. Once my alma mater won its bowl game I didn't watch another snap from a collegiate broadcast. Because of my overall flimsy interest in the sport, if my team didn't win I don't care about any of the postgame (and the presence of Tony Romo on the mike would kill graveyard dead any interest I might have had).

So why not turn my attention to a sport I like a lot better? I really do like the Chiefs; I like a lot of their players and as far as I can tell they're a pretty classy organization. But the business of football bores me without a peg to hang my team logo hat on, so I now turn my focus toward what I enjoy. And I, along with Rogers Hornsby, will now wait at my symbolic window until spring.

No comments: