Saturday, October 9, 2021

A Lesson Never Learned

This is about the only forum for this observation, and it may not interest very many people. I just finished the virtual edition of our Annual Conference, and one of the presentations was from the president of the university affiliated with my denomination. It's also the college where I used to work.

He's new in this job, but every last bit of his presentation was just him reading a speech. I worked for two university presidents and have watched the ones from this particular university deliver reports now for more than 25 years. I will never understand why these people who have at their disposal energetic and talented young people who could put an engaging face on their institution insist on deluding themselves that anybody wants to hear them talk.

2 comments:

fillyjonk said...

It's a power thing, I think. I don't know. People have to listen to me talk (in my classes) but I'm under no illusions that they wouldn't rather be somewhere else

Friar said...

Power and ego, too, I think. They're blinding. The best way I can let people know about our church is to let the people themselves say something about why they like it. A video with me telling folks that we try to find roles for our children is good; a video where a 5-year-old talks about holding the basket for the used plastic communion cups is soooooo much better