Thursday, January 27, 2022

Old vs. New

I'm late to the party (pal), as Ted Gioia has made a couple of TV appearances talking about his essay on how older music is crowding out new music. 

I think it is, and not just because a huge percentage of new music is, um, gunk. A few years ago a band called Walk the Moon had a very catchy hit called "Shut up and Dance With Me." In addition to being a neat reminder of the classic Pearl Harbour and the Explosions "Shut up and Dance," it was a fun 80s-sounding throwback that topped the US rock charts and hit No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart. The next single managed #4 on the rock chart and #65 on the Hot 100. Two subsequent releases cracked the top 20 on the rock chart but showed up nowhere else.  "Shut Up and Dance With Me" would probably have earned Walk the Moon a couple of top 20 albums back in the 80s and a career that would last at least as long as Loverboy's.

Gioia offers a much more detailed take, but it seems to me the upshot is that the modern audience attention span isn't long enough to keep new bands or performers on top for much more than a song or two. And the music industry responds, which means we never really get to hear how a group or a singer might sound after maturing or gaining experience with songwriting and playing.

Kind of depressing. Think I'll go play some Meat Loaf. Which might mean I'm part of the problem, but since the new music I hear is usually very niche-y in style, there's not much chance of them falling from the charts.

4 comments:

Brian J. said...

I think the poet-narrator of that song misheard the young lady. Clearly, she said, "Shut up. Dan's with me."

Friar said...

Possible. I'm sure Dan would see it that way.

Brian J. said...

One of the first posts I did on my blog was a deep dive analysis of the ages of people on the charts through the years, and how (around the turn of the century), the songs were sung by kids for kids instead of adults for adults:

Music: Not For Grown-Ups Any More.

But I've come to recognize that popular music, and any music at all, makes its money from live performances and not streams nor sales, so the songs end up geared to young party people who go to the club a lot.

Which leaves we few adults out in the cold.

Friar said...

I ran across this item a few years ago that enables me to lift my snoot high when it comes to comparing pop songs across the years: https://friarsfires.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-cant-miss-hit.html