Thursday, January 14, 2016

OK, Sure, But...

As we near Super Bowl L -- which will actually be called "Super Bowl 50" because our affectation with Roman numerals only goes so far -- the CBS Sports site has ranked the halftime music shows for our convenience.

The list is certainly the product of a point of view, and equally certainly dead wrong in so many ways. Obviously individual tastes play a huge role since we are talking about performances, and judgment of performances and the artists who put them on are mostly subjective. Putting that Katy Perry silliness from XLIX anywhere other than in the bottom five, for example, is a head-scratcher. And with just a couple of exceptions, putting any of the AARP shows (XXXIX, XK or XLIV) anywhere but the bottom five makes no sense either. The Madonna edition (XLVI), thanks to her injury-limited mobility and a truly ridiculous supporting cast, belongs down there as well.

They're sort of OK with some of the upper rankings, although I'd shuffle them around. Prince, (XLI), Bruce Springsteen (XLIII) and Tom Petty (XLII) were all good. My personal taste pushes me towards XXXVI, the U2 show a bare four months after the September 11 terrorist attacks. Your mileage may vary, but I know I've only bookmarked one Super Bowl halftime show on YouTube, and every time I play it, it's a beautiful day.

Oh, the actual game itself? I'm a Chiefs fan, so that hasn't mattered to me since the first Nixon administration.

2 comments:

fillyjonk said...

Not a football fan here, so I will be thinking of it as Super-Bowl-with-my-finger-and-my-thumb-making-the-shape-of-an-L-on-my-forehead

Friar said...

That connection may have played a role in the change.