Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Ten Years Burnin' Down the Road

Ten years ago at this minute this blog had its first post, which was more or less a little placeholder saying why it was here. At the time my online work was posting weekly sermon manuscripts at the Flatlands Friar blog, but my inner Royko felt the need to tell everyone what I thought about other things. Since there was and is no way to make sure everyone hears those thoughts, I opted for the illusion of blogging instead. It's hardly anywhere close to everyone, but at least it can encompass anyone.

The first real post came five days later, in which I opined that players who pretend a routine tackle establishes them as the Lord of Time and Space are annoying, as are the plethora of college bowl games and the BCS system. The plethora remains annoying, but I did not foresee the national bowl playoff system and its additional layer of annoyance.

I had only eight posts all of that month -- I didn't move to daily posting until November 2010. My most popular post according to Blogger stats remains this one -- not because of what I wrote, I am sure, but because of the well-known story I quote in it. I don't know that I have a favorite one, but I have a soft spot for this one. And this one. I became more disdainful than I thought I would be of the International Olympic Committee. And I spent more time than anyone should noting the exploits of the space-time continuum's dumbest congressperson, Sheila Jackson-Lee. I've blurbed a lot of books, some music and some movies, grumbled at things and blathered at length.

Thanks for paying attention.

2 comments:

CGHill said...

I didn't start daily stuff until my fourth year of cluttering up the Web. I think "Why am I doing this?" has to be among the top ten blog topics, ever.

Friar said...

Not least because of the frequency with which the question gets raised, I am sure.