Monday, May 11, 2020

On the Bubble

There are a couple of broadcast network shows I can pick up on my TV through the antenna or that I can watch at the gym. I may write more about them  -- SEAL Team and The Rookie -- later, but for right now, as they've finished their seasons, I'm kind of ambivalent about whether or not they get renewed.

In both shows, I really like almost all of the characters and have grown to appreciate them over their still pretty short runs. But also in both shows, the brutally hacktastic storylines make me want to cringe. There are good moments even in some of the worst episodes, but the likeable characters and polished ensemble work by the actors is being embedded in clunky and lazy narrative arcs plagued with potholes.

I'm honestly not sure if I want them to be renewed for new seasons so I can continue to spend more time watching characters I enjoy or to be canceled so that time isn't spent watching those characters abused by cliché-soaked scripts.

No comments: